ARTHUR BISPO DO ROSARIO

I found myself with a few hours free this week so decided to pop into London for a visit to the V&A Museum to see an exhibition by Brazilian artist Arthur Bispo do Rosario. This is a small show of some of the artist's work made during his fifty years confinement in a mental hospital and they're all made using found objects. He reconstructed objects that were important to him and represented all the things he wanted by his side at the Day of Judgement; it is an intimate glimpse into what he held dear and made me consider the question 'what things would I grab to save from my burning home?' Most of us would choose our photos, they are our memories and link to the past, just as these objects were to him.

image courtesy of The Great Artists

Using discarded hospital bedding he embroidered large banners depicting flotillas of boats, fairground scenes and pens of farm animals, all peopled by scores of individually worked figures and lines of text. They are full of his own iconic images and reminded me of altar pieces.

image courtesy of flickr.com

I also loved these beautiful boats decorated with colourful flags, models of sporting equipment and embellished jackets. I found it touching and uplifting that he had a fundamental need to create and would definitely recommend the show-which runs until 28th October 2012.

Whilst you're there, if you love colour and pattern the ceramics section on the top floor of the V&A is definitely worth a visit. Not only do you get stunning views across the roof tops of London but row upon row of sumptuous decoration, I love the boldness of the designs which date back hundreds of years - no minimalist beige here!



These are some of the objects that caught my eye -


I love the geometric pattern of this dish from Paris 1878



Stunning bright yellow plate and flower pot from the Netherlands c.1760


And how contemporary is this plate? Probably made in Venice and dated 1520-40. I want that one thank you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment